We know that remodeling your home is a major investment and the impact of the choice you make will be far-reaching. As professionals in our field there are certain things we feel you really need to know during the selection process. We've put together a list of questions that will make you an expert decision maker.
Questions to ask when interviewing remodelers:
- What experience do you have in the type of project I want?
- Who will be managing my project?
- What is their training and experience in my kind of project?
- How much time will your supervisor spend at my project every day?
- How are price and schedule determined and guaranteed?
- Can you describe the process I would experience if we worked together?
- What is your availability for this kind of project?
- Are you and all your subcontractors licensed and insured?
- Do you and all your subcontractors have Workers Compensation?
- What kind of warranty do you offer?
- How long have you been in business?
- May I speak to some of your clients who have had similar work done?
Questions when interviewing a contractor's references:
- What kind of work did the contractor do for you?
- Did they have a schedule and keep to it? Why/Why not?
- Did they stay on budget? Why/Why not?
- What was your experience with the contractor's customer service and accounting?
- If you experienced challenges during the project how were they handled?
- Are there any particular strengths or concerns you would share about working with this contractor?
- Would you hire or refer them again? Why or why not?
Question to ask yourselves to plan for your remodel:
- What are our goals and priorities for the project?
- What do we consider most important in this process?
- Have we collected design and product ideas from magazines, home tours, friends' homes?
- What would we like to invest in our project? Do we know the value of our home and what we are comfortable investing so a remodelor can educate us about what may be realistic?
- Have we determined our timing?
- What qualities are most important to us in choosing a remodelor?
"Thank you for exceeding all of our expectations." – C. & J. Walsh (whole house remodel, climbing wall install)